With the system properly connected, next step is the software installation. I decided to try mythbuntu as it is supposed to be a self contained installer with all you need to do a mythtv installation from a barebone system. You can download the disk images here. In my case I chose New Mythbuntu Install and 64-bit version. I like to use my hardware to the max possible extent, that is why I chose 64-bit. I know this can represent a problem with drivers and software like flash in the near future. It is clear for me however that 64-bit is the way forward and that it will give me better results in the long run. The current version is Mythbuntu 10.10 and this is the one I will be using.
With the iso image downloaded, I need a way to create a bootable USB drive from the file. I am running Ubuntu in my office desktop, and there is a utility to do that in this system. This guide here explains how to do it for the generic Ubuntu in other operating systems, but it can be used as is for Mythbuntu as well. So now I boot my system with the USB drive plugged, check the BIOS to make sure it is showing the USB drive as the boot drive and start the installation.
On the first screen I chose English and Install Mythbuntu. Even if you intend to change the language later, I suggest you do the first install in English. It normally works better this way. In the second screen I checked the download updates while installing and install third-party software boxes.
With the iso image downloaded, I need a way to create a bootable USB drive from the file. I am running Ubuntu in my office desktop, and there is a utility to do that in this system. This guide here explains how to do it for the generic Ubuntu in other operating systems, but it can be used as is for Mythbuntu as well. So now I boot my system with the USB drive plugged, check the BIOS to make sure it is showing the USB drive as the boot drive and start the installation.
On the first screen I chose English and Install Mythbuntu. Even if you intend to change the language later, I suggest you do the first install in English. It normally works better this way. In the second screen I checked the download updates while installing and install third-party software boxes.
The next step is very important, as here you need to define your partition strategy. My decision is to use 20GB for the OS, 5 GB for swap and the rest of the drive for /var, where all the media will reside. I decided to create all partitions as primary, using ext4 file format. Of course swap has its own format.
Next step is to choose your timezone and keyboard layout. Choose your user name, machine name and password. I decided to check the log in automatically box, as this will be an HTPC.
Next screen is where you choose your installation type. A backend is a machine with capture card, so this machine is definitely a backend. In my case it will be my primary backend. Frontend are machines where you can watch media, so this machine is a frontend as well. So my choice here is Primary backend w/ frontend.
Time now to choose what services you want on the server. I checked all of them, I suggest you would need at least VNC and SSH in order to be able to lo in in this machine from a desktop or a laptop. I decided not to choose any remote control. The remote I have works as a keyboard and does not need lirc. I know I will have to do some work with lirc later, but will not do it now. On the graphics driver, I chose to use the proprietary drivers, this is the only way you can get most out of the ION GPU. For the HDMI connection you don't have to enable TV output, so leave it disabled. Sit down and wait for the installation to end.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário